There are three types of ultraviolet (UV) wave lengths, and although powerful, they cannot be seen by the human eye. UV-A is more commonly known as black light, UV-B comes from the sun, and UV-C can kill mold, bacteria, and mildew and is used to protect equipment in medical settings. Because of its cleaning powers, a UV-C lamp can also be added to the indoor cooling coil of your HVAC system so that harmful do not become airborne and circulate throughout your home.
HOW DOES UV LIGHT KILL BACTERIA AND MOLD?
- UV light sends out short wavelengths of energy that penetrate mold. By doing so, it breaks up the DNA inside to clean and eventually inactivate it.
- To be effective in eliminating the mold, bacteria, or mildew, it needs to be exposed directly to the UV-C light.
- Installing a UV lamp as part of your HVAC system helps kill mold, bacteria, and mildew that flourish.
- Since UV light can be harmful to people, you should never look directly at the UV lamp while it’s operating.